Yesterday I saw ethel cain live in Utrecht!
I genuinely loved her show so so much and had the best time. I got to the venue at around 11:30 (yes I skipped school, but not my dutch test which was that morning)(it went well I think). At 11:30 I was 33rd in line, but basically everyone had +1s or even more, so it was really hard to tell (I had a friend go tonight and was 9th at 8am). I was really happy though because at Tivoli, they let everyone queue inside. I have been scared by terrible weather outside camping for concerts, so I was so happy to sit inside. Unfortunately doors wasn’t until 6:45 so I had plenty of time to wait. I made friends with the people around me, they were so literally so sweet. I think without them, I would’ve gone clinically insane waiting like 7 hours. At around 3:30-4 they let us upstairs to the merch area. It was really weird though, because they didn’t have the hoodie then but they did after the show? At probably 4:30 they let us into this area right by a set of stairs going up. Here we sat for 2 hours and 45 minutes. I genuinely lost my mind because I had put my book away to save space in my bag, so I sat there for 2:45 hours doing absolutely nothing. Myself and a lot of other people started to get angry though because nobody was abiding by the number system they had started? Essentially there was this one group of people who ended up pushing themselves to the front of the line. It was worth it though, because at around 6:30 they had us move onto this set of stairs which led up to a landing just outside of the stage. That 15 minutes sucked ass because they made everyone wait on the stairs which was a major tripping falling hazard?!?! Luckily I was at the little landing at the top so that made me less scared. What was the worst by far was when they finally let us in. I will say, that group of people who pushed to the front went in a lot later than myself and a bunch of others did. Obviously every venue says “No Running” but what does everyone obviously do? Run. I ran so fast that I literally ran straight into a security guy by accident….
Finally, I made it to the stage and managed to some how be in the second row in the dead center!?!? I was a little sad that I couldn’t get barricade but ethel didn’t interact with the crowd at all so it kinda wouldn’t have really mattered if I was that 50cm further in front. Especially since the stage at Tivoli is so FUCKING TALL!?!? Okay so I googled it and its apparently 1,56m tall? Which as someone who is not much taller than 1,56, the stage was so fucking tall. Like I actually had a crick in my neck afterwards because I had to be constantly looking up at the stage.
I honestly enjoyed 9Million a lot more than I thought I would. I had really only listened to about 5 seconds worth of a few songs before the concert, so I went in almost completely blind. I’m really glad I brought my earplugs for them though because they were so loud that it hurt not to have them. I will say, the only criticism I have for them is that it was a lot of what felt like the same stuff. If you’ve seen any videos of their set, its just a lot of jumping and head bopping I guess? It wasn’t inherently bad, but just very repetitive. I had no idea how, but a girl 3 rows behind me fainted just as 9Million left the stage. Like ethel hadn’t even come on and this girl had already fainted. I hope she felt better, but like really? I was standing practically all day and I didn’t faint…
Finally, ethel came on. Although 10 minutes late, it was worth it. The crowd was such a vibe. Everyone was
such big fans and I think ethel enjoyed the crowd? This was the setlist for the night:
I think my favorite track to hear live was Thoroughfare. Partially because I love the song and since its kind of a ‘surprise song’ on the tour, but also because I was able to give ethel a Miffy I crocheted. She ended up putting it on her mic stand and called her and another Miffy (which someone else gave her) sisters. I started bawling my eyes out I’m not kidding. I’m also a big Preacher’s Daughter fan, and an Inbred fan so hearing that little snippet of House in Nebraska and Crush was amazing. The vibes at the end of the night were truly amazing. Everyone was singing and dancing and jumping up and down. The energy was honestly infectious.
And then it was over. I stayed behind to try and ask for the setlist, to which the staff said they didn’t have setlists (even though I literally could see it with my very eyes). But I did go check the merch stand since people were wearing the hoodie? They didn’t have it when I got merch earlier but apparently had gotten them for the end of the show? Anyways, I’m writing this wearing my green hoodie (I wanted the XL but they only had L and 2XL so I settled for the L)
Side note: Apparently since Taylor Swift released short snippets of the new doccu-series for the Eras Tour, people have been able to find out what shower products she uses. One of those people have been my mother, who decided to order the entire set, without reading that the Body Gel, Shampoo, and Conditioner were rose and coconut scented, her least favorite scents. I tried them out today but I didn’t think they were too bad though..
School sucked ass because I didn’t get home till around 1 and I obviously had school today so I had to be up at 8:30.
I had so much fun, and I’m so sad its over. Oh well, at least I have some perfect up-close videos to post to my insta….




I can confirm that I got a 6 out of 7 for that Dutch test!
ReplyDelete